Jump to Navigation

Finding an RA


What is an RA?

When applying for a certificate, it is a requirement to prove your identity to the Certification Authority (CA) by presenting a valid photo id in person. This involves a face-to-face meeting with a member of the CA who will check your id and take a copy of it.

A Registration Authority (RA) is an institution (e.g. a university) authorised by the UK CA to check user's identities and to approve requests for digital certificates. By having RAs located around the UK, users don't need to travel long distances to have the face-to-face meeting.

When you request a certificate, you need to visit your closest RA, who will check your id and approve your request so the CA can issue your certificate.

Where can I find an RA?

Please check the list of institutions hosting an RA.

If your institution is not on the list, you can contact the closest institution hosting an RA and ask them if they are willing to approve your certificate request. Some institutions will be more than happy to do so (after checking your identity), but you may find that other institutions will only approve requests for their own staff/students, so it is a good idea to contact them in advance.

If you are having problems finding an RA to approve your request, please contact us on the helpdesk and we'll be happy to help.

I don't have a local RA, can I create one in my institution?

Sure, just contact us via the helpdesk and we will guide you through the process. If you want to know what's involved you can find the steps in the members section.

by Dr. Radut